Monday, February 2, 2009

my info.

Name: Nelly McCarthy
Hometown: Forest Hills, Queens, NY
Parents Professions: Dad – Lawyer/Mom – Pediatrician
Year: Freshman, Ryan Hall
Major: Undeclared Liberal Arts
Extracurriculars: intramural softball, lifeguard at the MAC
HS extracurriculars: Varsity swim team
Parents extracurriculars in HS: My dad played lacrosse for Siena
Unique: I like to wear crazy earrings.

STORY ABOUT JUSTICE:
I’m the oldest of four with my youngest sister being only 7 years old we have a house keeper/baby sitter that has lived with us for nearly ten years. She has a son, Sammy who lives with us as well. Sammy’s like another little brother to me, he’s lived with us his whole life. Sammy’s five years old now and when it came time to enroll him into Pre-k, his mother, Ada went over to the local public school by our house. The school is in a really nice neighborhood and when she went to enlist him a secretary there gave her a lot of problems, asking her to prove her residency and otherwise insinuating that there was no way Sammy was zoned to go to school there. The matter in which she spoke to her was extremely degrading and this woman was trying to prevent Sammy from being in the class. Ada went down to argue with this woman on several occasions and it wasn’t until my mother went down and almost had the secretary fired was Sammy allowed to attend the school.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
I worked over the summer at a restaurant called ‘Cheeburger Cheeburger.’ Some nights I would be a waitress, other nights I would work behind the milkshake bar and I would be in charge of all the take-out orders. One busy night, I was tired from not getting enough rest the night before and I must have not been paying close attention to what I was doing. At the end of the night my register was nearly twenty dollars short. My boss was pretty angry with me for up to that point, I’d always been fine with my register. He took the twenty dollars out of my paycheck and with only making minimum wage an hour, it was a lot of money. The experience taught me to pay close attention when I’m dealing with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment