Monday, February 9, 2009

Shifting Away from Communities...

I think people aren’t as involved in their communities as they used to be simply because we are living in such a different world than it used to be. My parents always say to me, “It was a different time then Alana.” And that’s true. There isn’t really any escaping it. I don’t notice it as much as other people do because I’m in a very close knit neighborhood. I mean, we do EVERYTHING together. BBQ’s, fireworks on the 4th of July and trips to Hershey. I mean, it’s actually a little ridiculous. However, I do notice it in my friend’s neighborhoods or communities. They don’t even know their neighbor’s names. I spent most of my summer days in the backyards of most of my neighbors, so it is very odd for me. But I can see why places would be like that. People are really concerned about themselves and about their families, and as a result, they don’t really worry about anyone else. In addition, people are always running from here to there and everywhere in between. There isn’t the time to just sit around and play cards with the people from your area. And with our technology, there isn’t even a reason to see each other. If someone you know wants a picture that you have, well you don’t have to bring it over to the house anymore. You can just scan it up onto the computer and send it through an e-mail. There are very few instances when you actually have to come face to face with people. I believe that the changing times and changing technologies are a huge reason why there is such a lack of community and why what communities are left are starting to deteriorate. At the rate we are going, soon no one will ever come face to face with anyone ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment