Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Stuff

Jillian Melendez
Yonkers, NY
My Dad works as a Foreman for ConEd.
My Mom works in Development for Sacred Heart HS (in Yonkers).
Year: Freshman
Residence: Hines
History Ed Major
I do volleyball intramural, Pathfinders, and Ambassadors
In HS I played varsity volleyball, basketball and softball
I have impeccable taste in music :)


DEMOCRACY
My story about democracy is voting in the last election.  Since I had turned eighteen last April, I was eligible to vote and realized what an important part of democracy it is.  When watching the election on CNN and learning that Obama was the projected winner, and after seeing him get inaugurated, it was refreshing to know my vote counted toward change in government.  It also made me realize the power of democracy and that people do have some control over the government.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE
A powerful learning experience in my life began as a high school junior in Italian class.  We were ready to take our trip to Italy and I was really excited because  had never been to Europe but had always wanted to go.  When we flew into Rome I was so happy and in awe of the country's beauty - but the real lesson came when we began visiting the cities.  Things are so different there compared to here in the United States.  It was powerful because it made me realize that the world is a such a large place and the diversity of the world is amazing.  It made going back again my Senior year a more complete experience that I appreciated more.

HOW I ENEDED UP AT SIENA
The first major reason I believe I came to Siena College was the sense of community I felt and realizing how nice everyone was.  I didn't believe people when they said that everyone at Siena was nice, but I honestly can say I have not met many people at Siena that I didn't genuinely like.  Also I believe that because the school has a reputation of being a "good" school and it's on the rise it made me think it would be a good choice to come here.  I especially liked that it was far away enough from home so that my parents couldn't sneak up on me but close enough that I could go home if there was an emergency or if I wanted to see my family.  I really like Siena so far and hopefully I will continue to enjoy being here for the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment